Friday, July 5, 2013

Work experience pupil Tom Smith highlights of the week

  I started my week on Sunday listening in on a football disability conference that was interesting.  I then went out and did some practical football drills outside which was really fun. A guy from Everton also came in to speak to everyone at the conference on what he does and how he gets disabled people into sport - he also gave us his life story because he was also disabled and his story was really inspirational, he gave us a practical session on what he does so that was also interesting.
   
Monday - I attended a meeting in St. Asaph about the Queen's Baton Relay for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games - this was a very interesting meeting.  In the afternoon, I learnt about Sport Wales and what they do to promote sport - getting every child hooked on sport for life.

Tuesday I went to a primary school in Hope where I did some rugby coaching. All the kids enjoyed themselves and at the end they enjoyed it so much they asked what rugby club they can join out of school. I was then delivering leaflets to other primary schools to give them an idea on what rugby league club they can join in their local area.

    Wednesday and Thursday I went off to Plas Menai where there I was doing things like wind surfing and I also got to drive a fishing boat for a school who was on the boat and we did crab fishing on the boat that was really fun we caught about 15 crabs maybe more. I found that really fun. Wind surfing was great too it took time to get a hang of it but it was great fun,had a right laugh doing that.

   Friday I was working in the office writing a press release on rugby league so I really enjoyed doing that because I've never written a press release before so I was excited doing that.

  Overall my time here was fantastic I've learned so much in this week. I've really enjoyed it, I now have more of an idea on what I want to do in the future. I definitely want to work with something that is involved with sport and this work experience has made me realise what I want to do. Great experience!

  Thanks to Mike Parry, Claire Nicholson, Matt Pritchard, Jamie and the Team from Plas Menai and the North Wales Office staff, and Graham for organising my work experience.

Tom Smith