50 DAYS TO GO BLOG – 50 WAYS TO GET INSPIRED BY LONDON 2012 AND GET ACTIVE
Every day this week until Friday, Sport Wales will be on hand with top tips to encourage you to get active with your family…
London 2012 is just around the corner and while you might not fancy yourself as the next sporting great, there’s no better time to be inspired to get involved.
11. Organise a beach trip or barbecue at the park and incorporate a trek into the trip
12. Recreate old school sports days with sack races, three legged races and egg and spoon
13. As we venture into days gone past, why not revive old sing-a-long skipping games like High, Low, Dolly, Pepper
14. Grab yourself some chalk and sketch out hopscotch on the yard or your pavement - and get hopping!
15. Put Saturday 4 August in your diary now! Helen Jenkins is set to compete in the triathlon. Celebrate and cheer her on by staging a mini triathlon of swimming, a bike ride and a run. You can stage it over a weekend if it’s all too much for one day.
16. Rounders is a great way to while away the hours and get the competitive juices flowing. You don’t need to be too strict with the rules either – just have fun!
17. Take inspiration from Geraint Thomas, Mark Colbourne and Nicole Cooke. Get on your bike with the family in tow and set out to discover some stunning parts of the Welsh countryside.
18. If you fancy going a little further afield you could negotiate Wales’ coastal paths and cycle trails and discover all that Wales has to offer – beautiful scenery, lakes, mountains and coastline make it a captivating place to tour.
19. Make your sporting challenges fun and mix it up for variety – let your children come up with ideas too
20. Praise and support – if they get the basic movement skills right at an early age, children are more likely to be physically active and to enjoy sport later in life