I’ve been asked what was my highlight of the Games, but just one is impossible to pin down, so here’s a selection.
- Standing in the middle of the discus sector trying to concentrate whilst Jess Ennis runs her 200m and the wall of sound follows her around the stadium.
- That sound...Turning from a cheer to a roar which almost hits you on the back of the neck when you’re in the centre of the arena.
- Witnessing that 100m men’s final.
- Seeing close hand what success meant to the German Discus thrower winning gold…he was the one who ripped his shirt open and then jumped the hurdles!
- The crowd doing the YMCA before the men’s decathlon Pole Vault got underway…and what a competition that was!
- Watching the closing ceremony.
- I could go on and on...
As I said in my first blog, I never imagined my involvement as an athletics official would result in me being part of the greatest show on earth. But fortunately my journey isn’t over yet as next week sees me returning to officiate at the Paralympics…my bag is packed and ready to go. I can’t wait!
Celebrate the volunteers and coaches who keep community sport alive in your area by nominating your local heroes today for one of our Coach of the Year awards.